Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The purpose of writing

I write.

I write because when I don't, I become worse than unhappy. I become morose, clogged, unsure what to do with everything I am thinking. I see clouds where there is sunlight. I fail to look up at the leaves.

I write in hope that just one person will read what I write. I write in hope that thousands of people will read what I write. I write in hope that I will change one person's life. I write in hope that I will change the world.

I write to give others pleasure. I write to make people think. I write to help others connect with something outside themselves.

I write to connect with everything outside myself.

I write not to leave a trail but to open one.

I write to let the characters in my head breathe.

I write to exorcise my demons.

I write to celebrate joy.

I write because I'm alive. I write to become more alive.

I write because I must.

1 comment:

David Walker said...

And you write because you're good at it.